Saturday 23 June 2012

Judith Brown uses vintage haberdashery in her work




Judith Brown Jewellery
Artist’s Statement

Having studied embroidery at Manchester I have taken a simple stitching technique and pushed it beyond the boundaries of textiles to create original jewellery. I began working with wire in 2004 in order to develop a way of working that would highlight the stitch itself. I use fine wire and treat it as thread, stitching without fabric to make intricate forms which hold their form over time, yet are still seemingly delicate.

Much of my work incorporates found objects. My Vintage Collections use recycled and upcycled haberdashery. In our throw away society I want to highlight the simple beauty of such everyday objects, once so precious as to have been hoarded away by our grandmothers in the times of “make do and mend”. 







I exhibit and sell my jewellery around the UK and my jewellery is currently stocked by the V&A, the British Museum and Kensington Palace.


1 comment:

  1. I loved the work on show- but - I wouldn't wear black jewelry-any chance of coloured stuff in the pipeline?

    ReplyDelete